Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Sofrito Recipe

Sofrito is a Puerto Rican seasoning that is used in many of our dishes.  I mainly use it for my beans and rice (which I cook 1-2x a week).

This is NOT my recipe, I got it off the All Recipe website: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/sofrito/Detail.aspx

Here's a picture of all the players (please excuse all my papers in the background):


    * 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    * 1 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    * 10 ajies dulces peppers, tops removed (may be hard to find)
    * 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
    * 4 onions, cut into large chunks
    * 3 medium heads garlic, peeled
    * 25 cilantro leaves with stems
    * 25 leaves recao, or culantro (may be hard to find)
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * 1 tablespoon black pepper
    * 2-3 ice cube trays


Next you chop up the veggies and put them in the food processor.  Add the cilantro, culantro, salt, & pepper.



Next you process until it reaches a chunky consistency.  I processed mines a bit past the chunky consistency, but that's OK.



Then you fill your ice cube tray with sofrito and put it in the freezer.  Leave it overnight and then pop them out and place them in a freezer bag.

And that's it!! So simple and just adds big flavor to your beans and rice dishes.  Next time I make beans I'll take pictures so you can see how to use it there.

God bless!

Yasmin
Our Family Kitchen








No comments:

Post a Comment